Open Research Community Manager
The Swiss Data Science Center (SDSC) is a joint venture between EPFL and ETH Zurich. Its mission is to accelerate the adoption of data science and machine learning techniques within the ETH Domain academic disciplines, the Swiss academic community at large, and the industrial sector. In particular, it addresses the gap between those who create data, those who develop data analytics and systems, and those who could potentially extract value from it. The center comprises a multi-disciplinary team of data and computer scientists, and experts in select domains with offices in Zürich, Lausanne, and Villigen.
We are looking for a motivated and proactive individual to join the team that develops the Renku platform at the Swiss Data Science Center (SDSC) in Zürich. As a member of our team, you will nurture and grow the Renku user community.
The Renku platform is developed at the SDSC to encourage collaboration, sharing and best-practices in data analysis projects. Renku is used at academic institutions in Switzerland and internationally as well as the private and public sectors. Renku is developed by a team of 15 from 12 different countries, and we are committed to upholding the team's diversity in the future. As a cross-competence and multi-disciplinary team, the role is diverse and can be tailored to specific profiles and growth trajectories, depending on the candidate's interest.
- Evangelize Renku within the research community to drive awareness and adoption.
- Coordinate and present at events, such as workshops, demos, trainings, and conference talks (online and in person).
- Engage with existing and potential users of Renku and gather feedback to shape the Renku roadmap.
- Work with our communications team to develop and publish marketing materials.
- Manage multiple outreach and support channels, such as GitHub, Twitter, YouTube, Medium, Discourse, documentation & user forums.
- Keep our users up to date on new features. Create educational content, such as tutorials and blog posts, targeted at computational researchers and data scientists.
- Create and maintain sample coding projects for demonstration and teaching purposes.
- We encourage applications from a broad range of fields and experiences. We expect some familiarity with data science and research in order to relate with the Renku user community, acquired either through a MSc in a relevant field or work experience.
- You have excellent communication skills and can drive clear, constructive, and respectful dialog with the user community.
- You have a passion for championing Open Science best practices and/or experience working in the research community.
- You enjoy working with users of software and figuring out how to make their lives better.
- Beyond specific skills, we are interested in individuals who are eager to learn, are self-motivated and love working on a team.
Working, teaching and research at ETH Zurich
- A stimulating, collaborative, cross-disciplinary environment in a world-class research institution.
- We deeply value work-life balance and will readily consider part-time employment options as well as home-office work.
- Our work hours are flexible, and scheduling holidays is uncomplicated.
- We encourage experimentation and creativity by actively promoting learning of new technologies and approaches on the job.
- We are dedicated to open source software and we strongly encourage our team members to seek out opportunities to engage with and contribute to open source communities as a part of their development process.
We value diversity
In line with our values, ETH Zurich encourages an inclusive culture. We promote equality of opportunity, value diversity and nurture a working and learning environment in which the rights and dignity of all our staff and students are respected. Visit our Equal Opportunities and Diversity website
to find out how we ensure a fair and open environment that allows everyone to grow and flourish.
Curious? So are we.
Interested in creating tools that will improve the reproducibility and reusability of data-driven discovery? Come join our team building Renku! We look forward to receiving your application with the following documents:
Please note that we exclusively accept applications submitted through our online application portal. Applications via email or postal services will not be considered.
Further information about the Swiss Data Science Center can be found on our website https://datascience.ch/. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Laura Kinkead via email firstname.lastname@example.org (no applications).
For recruitment services the GTC of ETH Zurich apply.
About ETH Zürich
ETH Zurich is one of the world’s leading universities specialising in science and technology. We are renowned for our excellent education, cutting-edge fundamental research and direct transfer of new knowledge into society. Over 30,000 people from more than 120 countries find our university to be a place that promotes independent thinking and an environment that inspires excellence. Located in the heart of Europe, yet forging connections all over the world, we work together to develop solutions for the global challenges of today and tomorrow.